Thursday, January 31, 2008

Food and Time


January has nearly passed; each year I count down for the days of the cold month to end. So much expectation bubbles in the days and makes the month imperfect. This year, January was stranger and slower then ever, which made it very fitting to celebrate the ending of it all with a feast. Our boss treated the whole staff to a (post-intensive teaching) dinner at a traditional Korean Restaurant. Of course such events can make people tense; my response to it all was to eat and drink and eat and drink. I did this non-stop for nearly two hours. I made my co-worker's confused. First was the duck, ham-like in appearance and taste, though a bit more oily. We wrapped it in thin raddish leaves, dipped it in mustard sauce, and felt good.

The fish was not a popular item; though usually delicious, this time around there were a lot of non-fish eaters surrounding; I would have normally induldged, but I had just eaten some sort of strange fermented fish that I didn't care for enough to take a picture of. After eating it one of the Korean teachers told me that most Korean's think it has too strong of a taste, and I'd have to agree. After three bites my nose wrinkled. Our table laughingly wrapped up these three for our bosses' husband.

This bit was lovely though, the server split open this spectacular squash, pinnata style, revealing the surprising insides of pine-nuts, ju-ju bee and ham. This was a strangely scrumptious combination. I was most pleased, and ate the most of it I believe.

Something that was re-discovered that night was that food= happiness.

Another discovery: As January passes it leaves hopeful promises of palm trees.

* On that note: 4 more days until Cambodia!*

No comments: