Saturday, March 29, 2008

Making Dirt


I was asked to teach an extra class for a spring program that the school is putting on. The class happened to be a cooking class, but without a stove I was limited. I decided to go for the most tactile and messy food I could think of; I thought it would be fun to send the kids home with lots of sugar in their little bodies because that's when we have the most fun in childhood: with cookies and chocolate. I taught them how to make something that I've never even made before: Dirt and Worms Dessert.

"Gemma" helped with the translations. First came smashing the cookies. Some of the girls were confused by such a thing, though others relished in the crumbling.

They were all quite proud of their creations, which slowly became murkier and more chocolate-y then I had expected.


The last five minutes of the class they ran around like crazy trying to release the sugar rush, no doubt. I had them all pose to occupy the extra time.

No comments: