Saturday, June 28, 2008

On Preparing to Leave


I've been thinking a lot about small moments that we've had/ are having in South Korea. Mostly I'm trying to prepare to leave by having nostalgia for the near past. There are places in the neighborhood where we've become regulars, and I'm realizing that it's going to be hard to leave these places behind. I want to remember being here and the now as clearly as possible; that's to say the recent past can become as blurry as recalling the fourth grade.

Not only do we become attached to places, but people, what they do, and familar walkways too. Today I had my haircut, and walking home, I realized that it's going to be hard for an American hairdresser to replicate these Korean school-girl bangs.

Anthony and I have started to talk about the Korean foods that we're going to miss at home (which is a refreshing change from talking about the American foods that we miss now). We've decided to do our favorites one last time in these next two weeks. This rainy evening we had Jim Dak (a chicken type stew). After savoring each last bite we went to the DVD bong and watched a Chinese movie, "Bejjing Bicycle" which was quite good. It's not only the food that we'll miss, but surely the DVD bongs will be missed too, what's better than a movie theatre on a rainy day? I'd say a cheap and made for 2 movie theatre on a rainy day (the full jim dak belly made it even better).

*17 days and counting (surely this is bitter-sweet).*

No comments: