Monday, February 25, 2008

On Sunday


Sundays really are the perfect leisure day, with nowhere to be, and time to lie-in, and the time to lazily make way to a leisure activity of choice, time just doesn't matter on this day of the week. Instead of staying in bed and reading, we made our way to Seoul with Kristin and Todd. This time it was to check out the Korean War Musuem. On the outside, plenty of international flags adorned this place in the sky.

The entrance had a sculpture of a blade and a bullet. The blade had intricate detail carved into it, and the bullet was simple smooth stone.

Not a fan of war, but wanting to understand more of Korea's history, I wandered the halls. The sand and light room was of peacefulness; the strange glowing orbs created a womb-like effect. I wanted to bounce off of the light, and forget about viewing the weapons and violence of the past.

My interest was more with the artistry used by the miltary: the bold and colorful mural of the calling drums, the intricate uniforms, the miltary banners with traditional cultural symbols of multi-hued dragons and fierce orange tigers.

Yes, leisure time is good on Sundays, and this Sunday was spent leisurely learning about how it all works that today Korea is the strong country that it is because of its horrifying past. I am happy to be here now, I am lucky to see the things I'm seeing. More and more I feel a strange equlibrium with both being at bay and at ill-ease with my identity as an American.

No comments: