Monday, April 28, 2008

Taking a Sunday Walk in Suwon


We've often said that attaching an adjective like Happy or Beautiful to a town might as well be dooming the place. I'm not sure that I've made up my mind about Suwon being 100% "Happy" or "Harmonious." I do know that there was fabulous thought put into the sewage drains here, might as well make people think of happiness as the unkind Korean street smells waft up from the drains.

Anthony and I joked that maybe the people of Suwon dance here to find their happiness. Looking back now, if I were to choose a winner for the "Boss Dance Battle" I might choose the dancer in the middle, she's nearly elevated.

Often I find myself looking up to the signs and sky on these walks. I've found that Sunday afternoons always call for a little color. This is what makes me happy: finding space in the sky between the neon colors.

As Buddha's birthday is approaching, the cities are covered in colorful lanterns to wish Buddha a Happy Birthday. We stopped in front of a Buddist Temple to check out the lotus lanterns; I've been thinking about using these for our wedding decorations. I stopped for a while, and pondered the petals on the top of the temple, then we wandered on.

Later we fell upon this beauty: this bike certainly made me happy; it's the same version of the bike that I rode in Gangchon, though this one is yellow, and probably hasn't seen as many miles. I like to think that the owner of the bicycle was inside the restaurant eating dungas (deep battered pork) happily. Though the bike itself could have been for mere decoration: same as the lanterns, same as the plastic food in the display case, same as the 'Happy Suwon' grate. Korea must always be colorful on the surface, inevitably to splash come character onto the streets lined with grey buildings.

No comments: